Hair extensions used to be something no one talked about until many celebrities started using them. Extensions are heaven-sent remedies for women who want long hair in an instant. Hair experts recommend hair extensions not longer than twenty-two inches or proper hair extension care will not be administered.
Before getting extensions, know the different types available and how to properly care for them. Synthetic and human hair extensions have different treatment methods that can be harmful if applied to the other, so know the right hair extension care before you decide on getting extensions.
You might think that taking care of hair extensions is difficult and time-consuming; well it is not as long as you keep in mind what your hairdresser told you to do. Here are just a few tips on hair extension care that will help to keep your extensions and your hair in a better condition:
- Washing your hair will keep it tangle-free and clean from dirt and sweat build up. Hair tangles when dirt and sweat build up, so wash your hair after strenuous activities like exercising, biking, running, swimming, etc. It is recommended to brush your hair and remove all tangles before washing it.Wash your hair in a downward motion and ask your stylist what shampoo is best for your hair. Gradually wet the hair and brush gently before you completely wash it. This is more common with less expensive extension hair. Too much water added at once to very dry hair will make it swell up and tangle.
- Use a soft bristle brush when styling or brushing your hair starting at the ends of the hair gently working your way up. Always brush your hair gently in a downward motion 2 or 3 times a day. Be careful with the use of blow dryers and curling irons for they shorten the duration of your extensions. Just letting your hair dry naturally is an effective hair extensions care.
- In exercising, wear your hair up or in a ponytail to avoid sweat from wetting your hair. Also wear a cap when swimming or keep your hair out of the water. Chlorine and salt water can cause the hair to tangle and mat up.
- Make sure your hair is completely dry before sleeping. Also wrap your hair together or gently tie it up to prevent tangling during sleep.
- Hair care products like a good conditioner can keep your hair soft but avoid overdoing it. Too much conditioner or any other hair care product can cause a build up and tangling. Do not use hair products with alcohol content for it makes hair dry. Consult your stylist on the best products that suit your hair extensions care.
- Enough of those other hair treatment, let your stylist take care of that. Do not perm, color or do any other chemical process to your own hair extensions for it might just ruin everything.
Getting hair extensions can be fulfilling if you consult a hair expert who knows more about your hair than you do. Ask him the type of extension that best suits you whether it is synthetic or human hair, plus the hair extensions care that will help you in flaunting your beauty inside and out. Growing your hair naturally may be the best thing to do, but acquiring lustrous hair in an instant is not bad at all as long as you go to the right person.