Hair care is an overall term for parts of hygiene and cosmetology involving the hair on the human head. Hair washing is the cosmetic act of keeping hair clean by washing it with shampoo or other detergent products and water. Hair conditioner may also be used to improve hair’s texture and manageability.
There are many varying opinions out there as to how often you should wash your hair. Some people advice everyday while others suggest weekly or longer! I think it depends on your hair type and your personal preference. Clean hair is beautiful hair. But whatever your choice is, be sure to treat your hair with care.
Finish off with a quality conditioner. This helps to minimise tangles, nourish and protect your hair. If hair is oily, apply conditioner to the ends only. Using a final rise of cold water closes the follicles and makes the cuticles to lie flat with the result of less breakage and very shiny hair – Bonus!
Towel dry hair, gently squeezing out excess water. Then, using a wide tooth comb, start at the ends and work your way up to the scalp, combing hair in sections. Wet hair stretches and will break, so handle with care.
Natural air-drying is the least damaging for your hair but this just isn’t always practical, so use a low heat setting and only partially dry hair, concentrating on the hair closest to your head. You will feel more comfortable especially if you live in a cold climate.
Hair Washing Tips
1. Start shampooing from the nape of your neck and then into your scalp.
2. Using a comb to distribute the conditioner is a great idea.
3. Blot the water from your hair into a towel and do not rub as it is very weak when wet.
4. Do not wrap your hair in a towel over a head for a long time; this will cause damage to the root of the hair.
5. Try and avoid blow drying your hair as much as possible.
6. Avoid using a blow dryer. Let your hair air-dry.
7. Avoid washing your hair as much as you can, as natural oil is healthy for your hair.
8. Do not comb wet hair, as they damage hair. Massage your hair well.
9. Do not rub the towel, as it may hold fibers damaging your hair.
10. Rinse your hair with hot water to remove dirt and rinse in cold water to make your hair shine and to close the cuticle.
11. Dry the vehicle like you washed it, from the top down.
Washing your hair properly can truly make a huge difference to the appearance of your hair. The steps are simple enough, just follow the 4 steps above and you can’t go wrong. You’ll have great clean looking hair every time. And when you use very high quality professional salon hair care products, you will be amazed at just how clean, vibrant and healthy your hair can become.
If you continue to care for your hair you are more likely to keep it longer, both in time and length!